…And why it’s so high in the first place?
So what is blood pressure?
As the heart pumps blood through the arteries, the blood presses against the walls of the blood vessels.
High blood pressure (or hypertension), happens when this pressure is unusually high. Normal blood pressure reading is 120/80. You probably have high blood pressure if your readings are 140 over 90 or higher.
High blood pressure is also known as the “silent killer” as there are no obvious symptoms, so the only way to tell if you have high blood pressure is to have it measured.
High blood pressure causes damage particularly to the aorta muscle, which opens the door to the formation of clots or plaques.
High blood pressure can be quite serious. It can include kidney failure, heart disease, and stroke.
What causes high blood pressure?
Factors that worsen it include:
- Being overweight or obese.
- Drinking too much alcohol.
- Not doing enough or lack of exercise.
- Old age.
- Eating too much salt.
- Not eating enough fruit and vegetables.
But luckily there are plenty of ways to prevent high blood pressure.
Some nutrients to try include calcium, magnesium, potassium, coenzyme Q10, essential fatty acids, garlic, selenium and vitamin E.
Herbs that can be useful include cayenne, chamomile, fennel, hawthorn, parsley, rosemary, hops and valerian root.
Suggested lifestyle and dietary changes include:
- Following a salt-free diet.
- Eating fiber and grains such as brown rice, buckwheat, millet and oats.
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Drinking fresh juices.
- Taking flaxseed oil daily.
- Avoiding animal fats, cheese, avocados, herring, sherry, wine, yogurt, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Keeping weight down and get regular exercise and sufficient sleep.
- Massage can be useful in preventing and treating hypertension. A gentle, relaxing, soothing massage helps to reduce blood pressure by lowering stress and increasing circulation.
So don’t ignore your blood pressure because you think symptoms will warn you. Everybody needs to know their blood pressure numbers, so get yours today.